“It’s the best place ever.”
“I love their food. It’s like going into Boston without doing all of that traveling. “
“It’s flavorful and the portion size is very generous. “
“The food is great. It’s delicious. There’s something for everyone.”
“I don’t like fancy restaurants. I love the local kind of places.”
“It’s like family food. I love it.”
“It’s pub food that makes you happy. “
“Good food. Good prices. Good people.”
It’s just a great place.”
According to those in the know, there’s just no place quite like Warren’s Place.
Located in this old school spot in South Weymouth, Warren’s Place IS the place you go for casual FARE with portions and prices that are beyond FAIR. It was all started by Brian Wilkie and his wife Arlene back in 2002, and the restaurant was named after Brian’s dad, Warren- a member of the Weymouth Police Department for over 30 years
“We have a lot of police officers they come in here and they remember some of the old stories and I just I just wanted to somebody remember him by.”
And something you’ll remember after only one visit is the welcoming vibe the place has.
“They make you feel like your so welcome. It’s just where we always want to come to.
“You can come here with your mom and your dad which is really sad but at the same time it’s awesome.”
“You walk in. They hand you your drink because they know what you want and everyone comes here for the atmosphere. It’s awesome.”
“If you want gourmet don’t come. Just don’t come. You get some good portions. We have American Chop Suey. I have a hard time eating it and it’s really good. I just say come try it out, if you don’t like it, don’t come back. But if you like it you’re going to keep coming back.”
So Phantom took on Brian’s challenge and tried it all in search of THE PERFECT MEAL.
The appetizers at Warren’s are all of the things you’d expect from a place like this.
There are crispy wings served with Warren’s zippy sauce for dipping.
And potato skins overloaded with all of the good stuff.
But the must order to get your meal going is the onion rings, hand sliced and battered by Chef Justin Maraglia and his team back in the kitchen.
“You get that nice crispy batter. And then you get that sweet onion taste after and then the Warrens sauce just compliments it.”
“People come just for the onion rings. We sliced thin, beautiful, then put them in a batter and then fry them. and I’ll tell you something they’ll melt in your mouth. They’re so tasty.”
For something even tastier, Brian always recommends kicking off your meal with one of their South Shore style bar pizzas.
“I love bar pizza. I can eat more in the whole pizza. I can eat two.”
There’s everything from the simple Margherita. To this flavor bomb piled with Chicken, Bacon and Ranch dressing. You can have your Philly Cheese Steak served in pizza form. Or opt for The Baked Potato pizza, which provides all of the flavors of tater skins.
“So the baked potato pizza. We take the fresh mashed potatoes that we make every day. Spread it on pizza dough, pizza cheese at some nice fresh bacon and then pop it in the oven. It literally tastes like just a large potato skin. It gets top with the sour cream and the scallions. You get the nice fresh scallion with a creamy sour cream and it just tastes like a nice loaded potato. Like a potato skin.”
The entrees at Warren’s are always crowd pleasers- particularly if you go there on Wednesdays for their stuffed peppers.
“I love the food here but I really come on Wednesdays for the stuff peppers.”
“Oh, stuffed peppers. They served every Wednesday, . We got the standard angus beef in it with rice and tossed with our marinara sauce. And we get these nice large peppers that we fill every Wednesday morning and, you know, slow cook them. And then they talk with provolone cheese and sauce. And honestly, nobody can finish those ever.”
On any night you can opt for plate tipping portions of fresh fried seafood.
An oversized chicken parm presented over pasta.
And one of the biggest black angus burgers on the South Shore.
“Most places are six ounces, maybe eight ounces. We have 10 ounces of joy. It is magnificent. I don’t know if you can eat the whole thing. Me. I can. But some people maybe not.”
But the top fan favorite at Warren’s is definitely their succulent steak tips.
“We can cut off their marinate but no less than two and a half days then grilled to order and basted it before they get put on the plate. “
“ They’re meaty. They’re sweet from the sauce but they have a little bit of a vinegary, taste, but they just good. You have a nice char from the grill and the sugar from the sauce and the marinade and just complements each other so well.”
Onion Rings. Baked Potato Pizza. A Stuffed Pepper and Steak Tips make for THE PERFECT MEAL at Warren’s Place.
Saturdays & Sundays – 10 and 11am
Pin It on Pinterest
- Skip to main content
- Skip to header right navigation
- Skip to site footer
Sun Tavern Restaurant
South Shore Fine Dining
The Sun Tavern
500 congress street, duxbury, ma 02332, tuesday – saturday 5 to 9:30 | sunday 4 to 9, carry-out available.
Vast Array of American Cuisine
The Sun Tavern offers a vast array of American cuisine. Listed as one of The Phantom Gourmets “Top 100 Restaurants in New England”, you will find cuisine that rivals the finest that Boston has to offer. Awarded the “Gold Plate” by Billy Costa of T.V. Diner and rated “Gourmet Greatness” by the Phantom Gourmet, The Sun Tavern is the place to dine on the South Shore.
Enjoy our Patio Dining
Our outside patio has become the place to enjoy casual dining on the South Shore. You can enjoy cocktails from our bar, one of our appetizers, or order from our full menu.
In the Spring and Summer enjoy the sunset, cool breeze and mother nature. In the Fall our portable heaters help keep you warm while you enjoy the fresh air and secluded loaction.
What a location for your next gathering. Plan your wedding party dinner, wedding reception, funeral reception, anniversary dinner, birthday dinner or bridal shower at The Sun Tavern in Duxbury.
Ask about reserving the patio or dining area for your gathering.
Some of our recent reviews:
The sun tavern is an upscale casual fine dining restaurant located just south of boston in a quaint farmhouse dating back to pre-revolutionary days..
On a country road in the seaside community of Duxbury, The Sun Tavern’s warm inviting environment is a reminder of days gone by, with a fireplace sitting area to warm your soul and five separate dining areas to enjoy the company of others.
Sun Tavern News
Are You a V.I.P.?
Follow us on Newsbreak!
The 13 Best Restaurants on the South Shore
The South Shore of Boston is a beautiful area with a variety of dining options to suit different tastes and budgets. Here are a few of the best restaurants to sample when traveling from north to south, starting in Quincy and ending up in Plymouth:
- The Fours Restaurant Quincy, MA Extensive menu of American fare, in a sports bar atmosphere. 15 Cottage Avenue Quincy, MA 02169 617-471-4447
- Cielo Mexican Restaurant Braintree, MA Moderately priced authentic Mexican food, in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. 1209 Washington St, Braintree, MA (781) 519-4454
- Mad Hatter – Weymouth, MA Comfort food from breakfast to dinner – one of the best restaurants on the South Shore for kid-friendly dining. 969 Washington Street, Weymouth, MA 339-201-4247
- Alma Nove – Hingham, MA Modern Italian-Mediterranean food, owned by the Wahlberg brothers. Stylish and contemporary atmosphere and stunning Hingham Harbor views. 22 Shipyard Drive Hingham, MA 02043 781-749-3353
- Jake’s Seafood – Hull, MA Classic seafood served dockside, but only open in the summer. Opens April 1. 50 George Washington Blvd Hull, Massachusetts 02045 (781) 925-1024
- bia bistro – Cohasset, MA Upscale American fare in a rustic setting. 35 S. Main Street Cohasset, MA 02025 781-383-0464
- The Mill Wharf Restaurant – Scituate, MA This upscale seafood restaurant serves a variety of seafood dishes, as well as steaks, pasta, and salads with an amazing view of Scituate Harbor. 23 Mill Wharf Plaza, Scituate, MA 02066 (781) 545-3999
- Maria’s Subs – Scituate, MA Very busy little sub shop that if infamous in the town for not putting lettuce on their subs. Don’t ask for it, they’ll know you’re not from here! 47 Front Street, Scituate, MA 02066 781-545-2323
- Polcari’s Bridgwaye Inn – Marshfield, MA Authentic Italian fare and awesome seafood and pizzas, all moderately priced, plus a view to die for. 1265 Ferry Street Marshfield, MA 02050 (781) 834-2020
- Mother Anna’s – Pembroke, MA A taste of the North End, Mother Anna’s is owned by the great-grandson of the original Mother Anna’s on Hanover Street in the North End. Count on them for authentic Italian fare and huge proportions. 46 Columbia Rd, Pembroke, MA 781.924.1955
- Carmela’s Italian Restaurant – Kingston, MA Casual restaurant and lounge serving Italian and American dishes. 138 Main Street Kingston, MA 02364 781.585.2148
- Sun Tavern – Duxbury, MA Upscale American fare served in a colonial-era farmhouse. 500 Congress Street, Duxbury, MA 02332 781.837.1027
- KKatie’s Burger Bar – Plymouth, MA Award-winning burgers and cold beer, the perfect combo after a visit to Plymouth Rock and making this one of the best burger joints on the South Shore! 38 Main St Ext Plymouth, MA 774.773.9444
These are just a few of the many dining options on the South Shore of Boston. Whether you’re looking for a casual bite or a special occasion meal, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste.
Traditional Christmas Dessert Recipes To WoW!
Best Lunch Spots on the South Shore
Discovering the Best Italian Restaurants on the South Shore
Discover Marshfield’s Best Restaurants
The Search for a Summer Favorite | Lobster Rolls on the South Shore
Marina Bay | A Restaurant Mecca on the South Shore
- School Closings
- CBS News Boston: Free 24/7 News
- NEXT Weather
- CBS Boston App
- TV Schedule
Watch CBS News
Phantom Gourmet: Great 8 Underrated Restaurants
October 30, 2014 / 9:33 AM EDT / CBS Boston
For whatever reason, some fantastic restaurants don't get the culinary credit they deserve. These are the 8 Most Underrated restaurants Phantom has found.
Sterling's Boston, Financial District
Kicking off the Great 8 is Sterling's in Boston's Financial District. This stylish eatery sits in an out of the way spot overlooking Quincy Market. The swanky dining space pays homage to days gone by, with big plates of comfort food served at an even bigger value. There's the flavorful steak frites with hand cut fries and the deliciously sloppy barbecue ribs."
Jack's Ristorante Malden
Jack's Ristorante in Malden is the brainchild of firefighter by day/restaurateur by night, Jack Colangeli. This spirited spot is always full of locals feasting on massive plates of traditional Italian food. The only thing more tasteful than his signature red boots is his red sauce used to top everything from the tender eggplant veal combo to their massive mound of lasagna.
Estoril Fall River
Another Great 8 winner is Estoril in Fall River. This family-run Portuguese restaurant is all about hospitality with servers streaming from room to room serving authentic eats. There's Spicy Calamari tossed in a zesty pepper sauce, a house-cut Portuguese Steak topped with a fried egg, and flavorful chorizo served over an open flame. It's all made by chef/owner Abel Moniz- who puts his heart into every dish.
Yella in Andover is a quiet Lebonese spot that serves Mediterranean style fare in a small intimate space. Owner, Danielle Berhdahn works the dining room while her husband Carlo cooks up fresh seafood and hearty chops. Phantom's favorite dish is the Chicken Wings a La Provencal, swimming in flavorful oil spiked with tomato, lemon, garlic and cilantro.
Watch: Most Underrated Part 2
New Brothers Danvers
New Brothers has been a Danvers institution for over thirty years, feeding some of the hungriest customers on the North Shore. Breakfast is the most popular meal of the day at this cafeteria style spot, especially the corned beef hash, golden French toast, and mounds of breakfast potatoes served hot off the grill. But as soon as the kitchen stops flipping omelets, it remains a blur of activity throughout the day, serving everything from soups, salads, and sandwiches, to Greek specialties like moussaka.
Another Great 8 winner is Oro . Located snug in Scituate Harbor, this stylish eatery offers several distinct dining experiences, from the casual cocktail lounge, to the upscale dining room that's definitely more South End than South Shore. With fishing boats docking within in a stone's throw, the seafood is definitely fresh. There's Corn Chowder with littleneck clams and bacon, and lobster cakes packed with chunks of fresh-shucked meat, crispy potato strings, and creamy lobster bisque.
Mission Bar & Grill Mission Hill
The Mission Bar and Grill in Mission Hill is a neighborhood joint serving everything you want in a great local spot. So if you want some oversized, hand-breaded chicken tenders or a giant plate of Nachos, a big burger, or some tender steak tips served alongside creamy mashed potatoes? They've got it. And it's all served up in an inviting dining room dominated by high ceilings, big windows, and exposed brick.
East Side Bar & Grille Cambridge
Rounding out the Great 8 is the East Side Bar and Grille in Cambridge. This neighborhood nook serves oversized portions of Italian food, like hearty Pasta Bolognase with slow simmered beef and sweet sausage, Shrimp Bianco with garlic and sun dried tomatoes, and Veal Rollatini stuffed with prosciutto and provolone. But nothing says Old School Italian, like East Side's enormous Chicken Parm.
Watch Phantom Gourmet on Saturdays and Sundays at 10:30 and 11 a.m. on myTV38. MORE FROM PHANTOM GOURMET
Featured Local Savings
More from cbs news.
Bruins lose third in a row, 2-1 in overtime, to Vegas
East-leading Celtics hold off West's best Timberwolves in OT, improve to 18-0 at home
Bill Belichick's work with his foundation recognized by those he knew well
Third teen dies after crash of stolen car in Dorchester
- Vacation Rentals
- Things to do
- Moscow Tourism
- Moscow Hotels
- Moscow Bed and Breakfast
- Moscow Vacation Rentals
- Flights to Moscow
- Moscow Restaurants
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Moscow Travel Forum
- Moscow Photos
- All Moscow Hotels
- Moscow Hotel Deals
- Moscow Motels
- Moscow Campgrounds
- Moscow Hostels
- Moscow Business Hotels
- Moscow Spa Resorts
- Moscow Family Hotels
- Moscow Luxury Hotels
- Romantic Hotels in Moscow
- Moscow Green Hotels
- Moscow Ski-In / Ski-Out Hotels
- Moscow Resorts
- 5-stars Hotels in Moscow
- 4-stars Hotels in Moscow
- 3-stars Hotels in Moscow
- Hampton by Hilton Hotels in Moscow
- AZIMUT Hotels in Moscow
- Novotel Hotels in Moscow
- Holiday Inns in Moscow
- ibis Hotels in Moscow
- Rotana Hotels in Moscow
- Crowne Plaza Hotels in Moscow
- Radisson Blu Hotels in Moscow
- Moscow Hotels with Pools
- Pet Friendly Hotels in Moscow
- Moscow Hotels with Free Parking
- 3rd Transport Ring (TTK) Hotels
- District Central (TsAO) Hotels
- Garden Ring Hotels
- Boulevard Ring Hotels
- Tverskoy Hotels
- Red Square & Kitay-gorod Hotels
- Zamoskvorechye Hotels
- Meshchanskiy Hotels
- Presnensky Hotels
- District Eastern (VAO) Hotels
- Moscow Affordable Hotels
- Boutique Hotels in Moscow
- Moscow Heritage Hotels
- Hotels with Nightclubs in Moscow
- Moscow City Center Hotels
- Moscow Hotels with Soundproof rooms
- Moscow Hotels with Saltwater Pool
- Moscow Horseback Riding Hotels
- Moscow Hiking Hotels
- Moscow Hotels with Game room
- Hotels near Red Square
- Hotels near Moscow Metro
- Hotels near Saint Basil's Cathedral
- Hotels near Moscow Kremlin
- Hotels near High-Speed Train Sapsan
- Hotels near GUM
- Hotels near State Tretyakov Gallery
- Hotels near Tsaritsyno Museum-Reserve
- Hotels near Armoury Chamber
- Hotels near Bolshoi Theatre
- Hotels near Kremlin Walls and Towers
- Hotels near Gorky Central Park of Culture and Leisure
- Hotels near Kolomenskoye Historical and Architectural Museum and Reserve
- Hotels near PANORAMA360
- Hotels near (ZIA) Zhukovsky International Airport
- Hotels near (VKO) Vnukovo Airport
- Hotels near (DME) Domodedovo Airport
- Dreams Onyx Resort & Spa
- Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
- Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica
- Atelier Playa Mujeres
- Temptation Cancun Resort
- Melia Punta Cana Beach Wellness Inclusive - Adults only
- Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
- Dreams Macao Beach Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Palace All Inclusive Resort
- Dreams Flora Resort & Spa
- Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Secrets Moxche Playa del Carmen
- Dreams Royal Beach Punta Cana
- Hotel Riu Santa Fe
- Popular All-Inclusive Resorts
- Popular Beach Resorts
- Popular Family Resorts
- Popular All-Inclusive Hotels
- Popular Hotels With Waterparks
- Popular Honeymoon Resorts
- Popular Luxury Resorts
- Popular All-Inclusive Family Resorts
- Popular Golf Resorts
- Popular Spa Resorts
- Popular Cheap Resorts
- All Moscow Restaurants
- Cafés in Moscow
- Chinese Restaurants for Large Groups in Moscow
- European Restaurants with Buffet in Moscow
- Fast Food Restaurants in Moscow
- Italian Restaurants in Moscow
- Italian Restaurants with Delivery in Moscow
- Japanese Restaurants in Moscow
- Mediterranean Restaurants in Moscow
- Pizza in Moscow
- Russian Restaurants in Moscow
- Seafood Restaurants in Moscow
- Vegan Restaurants in Moscow
- Vegetarian Restaurants in Moscow
- Best Salmon in Moscow
- Best Tortellini in Moscow
- Best Focaccia in Moscow
- Best Juice & Smoothies in Moscow
- Best Lobster in Moscow
- Best Tempura in Moscow
- Best Cod in Moscow
- Best Crab Cakes in Moscow
- Best Tuna in Moscow
- Best Paella in Moscow
- Best Donuts in Moscow
- Best Gelato in Moscow
- Best Risotto in Moscow
- Best Catfish in Moscow
- Best Bibimbap in Moscow
- Breakfast Restaurants in Moscow
- Lunch Restaurants in Moscow
- Dinner Restaurants in Moscow
- Bakeries in Moscow
- Buffet Restaurants in Moscow
- Coffee & Tea in Moscow
- Desserts in Moscow
- Food Delivery Restaurants in Moscow
- Kid Friendly Restaurants in Moscow
- Late Night Restaurants in Moscow
- Restaurants for Special Occasions in Moscow
- Restaurants with Outdoor Seating in Moscow
- Romantic Restaurants in Moscow
- Arbat Restaurants
- Bars & Pubs in Red Square & Kitay-gorod
- Basmanny Restaurants
- Dinner Restaurants in Maryina Roshcha (Jewish Quarter)
- Fast Food Restaurants in Red Square & Kitay-gorod
- Fusion Restaurants for Families in Tverskaya
- Hamburgers in Zamoskvorechye
- Khamovniki Restaurants
- Maryina Roshcha (Jewish Quarter) Restaurants
- Patriarch Ponds Restaurants
- Presnensky Restaurants
- Red Square & Kitay-gorod Restaurants
- Tverskaya Restaurants
- Yakimanka Restaurants
- Zamoskvorechye Restaurants
- Things to Do
- Travel Stories
- Rental Cars
- Add a Place
- Travel Forum
- Travelers' Choice
- Help Center
- Central Russia
- Moscow Restaurants
Ratings and reviews
Location and contact.